SearchCap: The Day In Search, March 10, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: comScore: Android Shows Strength As Mobile Web Usage Grows Metrics firm comScore released some new quarterly mobile data that shows strong growth for Android handsets in the US and an increase […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- comScore: Android Shows Strength As Mobile Web Usage Grows
Metrics firm comScore released some new quarterly mobile data that shows strong growth for Android handsets in the US and an increase in mobile web usage:
RIM showed modest growth while the iPhone’s growth, according to these figures, flattened. Meanwhile WinMo and Palm lost ground.
Of course with the advent of Windows Mobile 7 and the fact […]
- A Practical Guide To Information Architecture Changes
A change in information architecture (IA) can make or break your in-house SEO program . A successful IA makeover can open up a window to previously unimagined search engine domination, or it can see years of hard SEO work evaporate in the fluttering of a URL. Despite the complexity of IA changes, by following some […]
- Collecta Launches Mobile Version Of Real-Time Search Engine
Collecta has just announced the launch of a mobile version of its real-time search engine. The mobile site is available at m.collecta.com.
Like it main site, Collecta mobile includes real-time news, photos, and status updates from more than 10 million content sources — from Twitter to Flickr and CNN and blogs. The mobile site is available […]
- Watch The New Bing UK Commercial
Bing sent me a link to their new UK Bing commercial. The new UK ad blitz by Microsoft is aimed at capturing market share from Google in that region.
Here is that commercial.
- Video: Does Google Own Us?
Here is a short but very well-done video on how much Google knows about us, possibly implying that Google owns their users. Clearly, this topic is not new, but the video was really well done.
The video is from the show “Hungry Beast” that airs in Australia on the ABC, 9PM Wednesdays. For more information […]
- PPC: Why You Need To Pay For Your Brand Terms
When it comes to developing an effective PPC strategy, it is important to include branded terms. However, many marketers are opposed to doing so. This is a mistake. Let’s take a look at why.
Understanding the value
In this economy where marketers need to do more with less, it is easy to understand why they might balk […]
- Google Apps Marketplace Opens For B2Business
Taking a page from Salesforce.com, last night Google formally launched the anticipated Google Apps Marketplace at its “Campfire One” developer event. In short it allows companies and developers to gain access and sell into Google’s “2 million businesses and 25 million Google Apps users.” The marketplace launches with 50 partners including Intuit and competitor Zoho.
- Ride Don’t Drive: Google Adds Bike Directions To Maps
Last night Google announced the inclusion of bike directions to car, public transit and walking directions options on Google Maps. According to Google Maps’ Shannon Guymon this was one of the most requested missing features on Google Maps.
The new bike directions also provide a new view on maps (see below), one that is more “bike […]
- comScore Search Share For February: Bing Grows (Yet Slows) And Yahoo Declines Again
The financial analysts were busy yesterday pushing out the comScore search market share data for February, which officially comes out later today. What the data show is: Google regaining some share “lost” in January and continued gains by Bing, albeit at a somewhat slowing pace.
Yahoo lost some share again and so did Ask, while AOL […]
- Twitter Gets Its Own URL Shortener To Stop Scams; Good Marketers Need Not Fear
Twitter has just announced that to protect people from scams, links in direct messages and sent via email will be shortened using its own URL shortener. It’s a welcome move. Still, I was curious about any impacts this might have for good marketers who are not trying to scam people. Good news, on […]
- 71 Technical Factors For Backlink Analysis (From 30 Link Building Experts) – Part 2
Welcome to part 2 of our 3-part group interview series on backlink profile analysis. Part 1 covered backlink analysis for link building campaign design. Part 2 covers the more technical aspects of analysis, and what elements that link building experts look at to gauge the overall strength of a backlink profile.
14 URL factors in backlink […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- And now for something completely different, Official Google Reader Blog
- Delicious ‘bookmark’ option in Yahoo! Messenger, blog.delicious.com
- Google welcomes chance to export to Iran, Cuba, Google
- Google’s Chief Economist: “Newspapers Have Never Made Much Money From News”, TechCrunch
- A digital renaissance: partnering with the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage, Official Google Blog
- Google CEO Sees Conclusion to China Talks Soon, Wall Street Journal
- The Internet in America: A YouTube Interview with the FCC, YouTube Blog
- Website blocking plans attacked by Google, Facebook and Stephen Fry, Telegraph
Local, Maps & Mobile
Paid Search & Contextual
- Ode to AdWords, Official Google Blog
- YouTube calling: Now serving ads on the YouTube mobile site, YouTube Biz Blog
- Did You Know That Wolfram|Alpha Knows Your DNA?, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- Google Directing You To Wrong Country? Report The Issue, Search Engine Roundtable
- Search Trends for Oscar 2010 at Yahoo!, Yahoo Search Blog
- Chuck Norris Turns 70 Today, No Google Doodle?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Landing Page Testing: Don’t just create . . . test, www.sempdx.org
- Tools And Competitive Intelligence Session at SearchFest 2010, www.sempdx.org
- Up-to-date strategies for achieving prominence within Local Search listings, www.sempdx.org
SEO & SEM
- W3C Validation for SEO – Myth and Reality, Search Engine Journal
- A Time and Season for Search: How Data Mining Can Influence Search Advertising, SEO By The Sea
- Does Google treat "brandname" and "brandname®" differently?, YouTube
- Google Shuts Down "Site Performance" Tool While Upgrading It, Search Engine Roundtable
- Optimizing Search Conferences: How Differing Incentives Create Audience vs. Organizer Issues, SEOmoz
- Should I block duplicate pages using robots.txt?, YouTube
- Data Shows Articles with Digits May be Shared More on Facebook Than Those Without, danzarrella.com
- Which Social Media Websites are Good for Promoting your own Site’s Content?, Digital Inspiration
Video, Music & Image Search
- YouTube Direct for Mobile, and Other Updates, YouTube Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site: