Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, May 24, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Battle Lines Being Drawn Over Twitter-based Ads
A battle appears to be brewing over the promise of monetizing Twitter and, more specifically, over the placement of ads on the Twitter platform.
In a lengthy blog post today, Twitter’s Chief Operating Officer, Dick Costolo, announced that the company will not allow third parties to place ads in the Twitter stream — something that […]
- Bartz: “Google Is 90% Search, That’s A Fact” – Except It’s Not
Mike Arrington just had a no-holds barred interview with Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz at TechCrunch Disrupt. Bartz gave back as good as she got, at least in sound bites. As usual, I didn’t find many of her statements convincing. A highlight was her saying “Google is 90% search. That’s a fact.” It’s not.
In particular, Bartz […]
- SMX Advanced London 2010 Live Blog Recap
Last week was SMX Advanced London and although I was not able to personally attend, there were plenty of live bloggers on attendance to give us the blow by blow. Below is the coverage we found of the show:
39 SMX London 2010 Recap Tweets from Day One, SEOptimise
8 tips to clean up your code […]
- The Yahoo-Nokia Deal: Some Details & Perspective
Yahoo and Nokia made their anticipated partnership announcement this morning in New York. The public elements of the deal include the following:
Nokia will be the exclusive, global provider of Yahoo!’s maps and navigation services, integrating Ovi Maps across Yahoo! properties, branded as “powered by Ovi.”
Yahoo! will become the exclusive, global provider of Nokia’s […]
- Google Finally Reveals How Much It Keeps From AdSense
The Google AdSense blog announced the exact revenue share they give publishers for placing AdSense ads on their web site. In the upcoming months, Google promised to show the revenue share within the AdSense interface reports.
Google broke down the revenue share in two categories so far:
(1) 68% revenue share for content ads, the […]
- Search Biz: Google Vs. Viacom, Pakistan Vs. Facebook, Google Vs. US, Apple Vs. Google & The Russians Are Coming!
It’s been a little while since we’ve done a Search Biz column. So it’s time to dust off the old snark machine and get right into it. First up there’s a very entertaining post on some new, unsealed records from the YouTube-Viacom litigation featuring a range of colorful expletives as both sides insult one another […]
- Setting The Table For Restaurant SEO: Menus
Restaurants are some of the most-searched types of businesses in local. Because of this, Google and other search engines typically look for some specific content and signals for rankings, and for eateries, the number one type of content sought on websites is the menu. Menus are so important for restaurants that they should be optimized […]
- Google AdWords Adds Ad Extensions Tab
The Google AdWords blog announced they have added an ad extensions tab to campaigns with ad extensions as an option.
Ad Extensions are features that can be added to your AdWords ads and include Ad Sitelinks, Product Extensions, Video Extensions, Location Extensions, Multiple Addresses for Location Extensions, and Click-to-Call Phone Extensions. To learn more about […]
- Everybody Deserves A Second Chance: Using Remarketing To Reach Abandoned Shoppers
Google allows you to serve an ad across its content network to a someone who has previously visited your website. This powerful “retargeting” capability allows you multiple opportunities to reach consumers who:
Did not convert
Signed up for an email newsletter
Abandoned a shopping cart
Sign up for a trail subscription
There are many ways of using remarketing […]
- Google’s Push To Speed Up Your Web Site
Google continues to make a big push for improving your website download performance. Earlier in May Google’s Maile Ohye posted a video on the Google Webmaster Central Blog on the case for speeding up your site, tools for helping you find speed related problems, and some specific speed optimization tips. Some of the […]
- I Want My GTV: Will Google TV Soar Or Sink?
Notwithstanding the glitches, the demo last week was impressive: the seamless blending of TV and web content, the beautiful UI, the smooth search and browse capabilities. Now, a few days after the heady discussion and CEO briefings at Google’s I/O developer conference, we can reflect a bit on what the outlook might be for this […]
- Top 10 SEM Tips From SMX Advanced London 2010
Last week, SMX London graduated to SMX Advanced status. We in the UK eagerly anticipated the fresh new tips and tricks which are usually left until several beers later in the networking bars!
And we certainly weren’t disappointed. I thought it would be useful to share with Search Engine Land readers the top ten advanced search […]
- U.S. Newspapers Start Selling SEO
Your local newspaper may soon offer SEO services. Heck, maybe it already is.
Two of the three biggest newspaper publishers in the U.S. have recently announced that they’re selling marketing services to small/local businesses … and those services include things like SEO, local search marketing, and more.
Gannett Newspapers is the latest to hop on the SEO […]
- Google Pac-Man: The FAQ + Kill Screen Winners
Judging from the tweets I’ve seen, people are loving Google’s version of Pac-Man that’s playable on the Google home page today and tomorrow. They also have questions about it. Has anyone reached the end? Will you be able to play it in the future? Answers to these and more, below.
Why’s Google Doing This?
To celebrate the […]
- Google Adds Images To Real-Time Results
There’s no formal blog post about this that we know of yet, just a tweet from Google’s Jeremy Hylton announcing that images are now showing up in Google’s real-time search results.
Actually, you have to specifically request to include images with your results. After doing a search for “lunch” and clicking to see Updates from […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Be our guest…be our guest blogger!, Yahoo Answers Blog
- PAC-MAN rules!, Official Google Blog
- Spring Cleaning: Comments, offline, and older browser support, Official Google Reader Blog
- When do you throw a CEO’s privacy under the bus?, scobleizer.com
- California Supreme Court to consider age bias case against Google, Mercury News
- Carol Bartz Talks With Michael Arrington At TechCrunch Disrupt, TechCrunch
- Nokia and Yahoo! to Bring Integrated Web Services to Millions of Consumers around the World, Yahoo Press Releases
- Yahoo Looks To Direct Mail Partner To Help it Crack Local Ad Markets, paidContent.org
- Yahoo’s New Core Competency Seems to Be Outsourcing to Others, gigaom.com
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Keeping up-to-date on the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Official Google Blog
- Google open-sources My Tracks GPS Android app, CNET News
- Inside Foursquare: Checking In Before the Party Started (Part I), Wired
- Buying Domains For Link Building, Search Engine Roundtable
- Links Return To Yahoo Site Explorer, Search Engine Roundtable
Paid Search & Contextual
- How Google Helps Hackers (Accidentally), PC World
- Google Studies How Search Behavior Changes When Searchers Are Faced with Difficult Questions, SEO By The Sea
- Introducing Related Questions, Ask.com Blog
- Ruud Questions: Aaron Wall, Search Engine People
- Search Marketing Talk Launched, Rob Kerry
- SMX Advanced 2010 Coverage Schedule, outspokenmedia.com
SEO & SEM
- Security Issues Could Force Facebook to Slow Down Product Development, Inside Facebook
- US Real Estate SEO Ranking Report, Net Magellan
- 10 Ways to Show Value from Your SEO Efforts, Search Engine Journal
- 2 Cross-SERPs Analysis Tools to Check Out, Search Engine Journal
- Google Site Performance in Webmaster Tools Updating Often Now, Search Engine Roundtable
- Making jQuery SEO Friendly, Shimon Sandler
- Making your video news more discoverable: best practices for news publishers, YouTube Biz Blog
- PDF ReCrawling Takes Longer Than Web ReCrawling, Search Engine Roundtable
- 6 Quick Tips to Search Twitter Like an Expert, blog.hubspot.com
- Facebook working on ‘simple’ privacy settings, CNET News
- Twitter May Allow Competitors to Purchase Trademarks as Keywords for Sponsored Tweets, Eric Goldman
- The Twitter Platform, Twitter Blog
- TweetUp Launches “AdSense For Twitter” Product At #TCDisrupt, TechCrunch
Video, Music & Image Search
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Ruud Questions: Aaron Wall
- No1 Ranking Lost 87% Value In Last Month…and It’s Still No1
- A Plea To Corporate America: Get IT Out Of The SEO Business
- 5 Google Experts Answer 25 SEO Questions