Sign up for our daily recaps of the ever-changing search marketing landscape.
SearchCap: The Day In Search, April 21, 2010
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- Google On Break Up: Cut Us In Half, They’d Demand Quarters
Google isn’t mincing words in response to reports yesterday that a consumer advocacy group thinks the government should break up Google.
Google spokesperson Adam Kovacevich had this to say when we asked for a comment on Consumer Watchdog’s plans:
“We totally understand that with size and success comes scrutiny. Although given their track record, even if we […]
- Go Green With Your Time: Recycle Your PPC Work
In-house search engine marketers, even at a large company, are usually a very small group of people. Your team of one (or a few) needs to manage multiple search engine marketing platforms efficiently and effectively. One strategy for success is to become a rock star at recycling the search engine marketing work you’ve already done.
- 4 Tips To Go Global With B2B Search Marketing
For years, B2B marketers have refrained from putting search dollars into non-US markets because the userbase was lacking and the investment seemed too risky. But search markets around the world have matured considerably in recent years, and now offer a great opportunity. It is time B2B marketers took another look at global search.
The opportunity in […]
- Compelling Landing Page Design Is Not Formulaic
Good design is the unsung hero of conversion optimization.
Too often, when the topic of landing page design comes up, it’s dismissed superficially with canned prescriptions. Use an image of a person. Use bullets. Use video. Don’t use video. Put a call-to-action button in the lower right. Use the color green wherever possible.
Such fortune cookie advice […]
- Break Up Google? Consumer Group To Call For It
Consumer Watchdog, a consumer advocacy group that has targeted Google before, plans to call on the US government to start an antitrust investigation into Google and will suggest remedies that include breaking the company up. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, all of this will be detailed at a news conference Wednesday in Washington, DC.
- Google Shows Colorless Logo To Chinese Users Over Qinghai Earthquake
This afternoon, I mentioned at the Search Engine Roundtable that Google Hong Kong was showing a white Google logo. The logo showed up a week or so ago on Google Poland as well. A Google spokesperson told me the logo is only displayed when Google wants to recognize a “current loss or tragedy.” […]
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google’s Vint Cerf on Private Clouds v. Public Clouds, Read/Write Web
- Dots No Longer Required When You Log in to Gmail, Google Operating System
- Google Buys Stealth Hardware Startup Agnilux, peHUB
- Partovis Latest MySpace Execs To Leave; Top Security Exec Cutting Back, Too, paidContent.org
- Bing Takes Seattle by Storm, Bing Search Blog
- News Corp. Buys Social Software Studio Irata Labs (Yes, The #Spymaster Guys), TechCrunch
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Google announces Google Maps Navigation (Beta) for Android mobile phone users in UK and Ireland, Google
- Google Maps 3D Street Views Now Back, Search Engine Roundtable
- If you develop for iPhone, Google may be calling you soon, ZDNet
- Tags: coming to a city near you, Google LatLong
- Won’t You be My Neighbor?, MapQuest Blog
Paid Search & Contextual
- Exclude Domains on Content Network, PPC Hero
- More countries go Western Union, Inside AdSense
- Yahoo! Ranked Number One, Yahoo! Advertising Blog
- Answers.com Starts Answering Questions On Twitter, TechCrunch
- Connecting People and Places, Wolfram|Alpha Blog
- My Google story, wysz.com
SEO & SEM
- Google Page Speed Update, beu blog
- Introducing Suggester™ Keyword Research Tool, Promediacorp
- Two more weeks to update your Google News Sitemap, Google News Blog
- Categorized Keyword Research: Step 2 of the 8-Step SEO Research Strategy, SEOmoz
- Google Crawls Sitemap File Based On Update Frequency, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Indexing Content Via Referral Logs?, Search Engine Roundtable
- How can UK businesses improve their SEO in Russia?, Econsultancy
- How does Google rank sites which run on non-standard ports?, YouTube
- Search Feature Added to AdWords User Interface, AdWords Help Experts
- The Radically Changing Local Search Landscape, seoroi.com
- Using Google Trends to Discover PPC Opportunities, PPC Hero
- Facebook Closing In On 500 Million Visitors A Month (ComScore), TechCrunch
- Facebook? Twitter? Microsoft tops social media use – News, Gadgets, Independent.co.uk
- Sharing News on LinkedIn just got easier, The LinkedIn Blog
- Social Innovation Starts with YOU!, Yodel Anecdotal
- TwitterClaims: Be First In The Twitter Username Land Rush, Read/Write Web
- Yelp Partners with Facebook for a More Personal Experience, Yelp Official Blog
- Meaningful Metrics for B2B Blogging, proteusb2b.com
- The Bee is all the Buzz at Bing, Bing Search Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- How to Generate More Leads
- An Easy (and Powerful) Long-Tail Approach to On-Page SEO
- Find Your Most Useful Content with Help of Copy Heat Map