SearchCap: The Day In Search, March 18, 2008
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web. From Search Engine Land: SES NY Day Two Live Coverage RecapThe second day of SES NY is now complete. Here is the live blogging coverage I found throughout the day for the event. I’ll add […]
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on
Search Engine Land and from other
places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
SES NY Day Two Live Coverage Recap
The second day of SES NY is now complete. Here is the live blogging coverage I found throughout the day for the event. I’ll add any new coverage to tomorrow’s recap….
Search Biz: Alibaba Gains, Google Loses & Eric Schmidt Says Don’t Call Me Daddy Anymore
China’s Alibaba.com, in which Yahoo is a significant minority shareholder, enjoyed a massive 340 percent gain in net profit tied to China’s fast-growing economy. As Google argued earlier, it appears that those doing business in Asia and China in particular are somewhat insulated from the United States’ economic woes….
Search Illustrated: Factors That Increase TrustRank
Just like you choose to buy products from companies you trust, search engines factor in levels of trust when determining which websites to include in their search results. Whether it’s an issue of security, privacy, or just easily-accessible information, every little bit helps when it comes to the search…
Yahoo Expects To Double Cash Flow In Three Years & Reaffirms 2008 Outlook
Yahoo announced at an investor presentation that they expect to double their operating cash flow in three years from $1.9 billion to $3.7 billion. Yahoo also took the opportunity to reaffirm their 2008 financial outlook. Yahoo said by 2010, they expect to earn $8.8 billion in revenue (excluding traffic acquisition…
Google’s CIO On The “Consumerization” Of The Enterprise
The Wall Street Journal has an interview this morning with Google’s Chief Information Officer Douglas Merrill. He discusses the company’s attitude toward security and the freedom that Google permits its employees in terms of choosing software applications, phones, computer operating systems, and so on….
Google Maps Opens Up Editing To Everyone
Last year in November Google opened up Maps to community editing, allowing people to move the pushpin markers to correct or improve the accuracy of business locations. John Hanke, Director of Maps & Earth, told us at the time that Google would move beyond just place markers and allow registered…
Life, Death, and Links
Imagine for a moment that you need to find some information on the web, and it’s really important. You need to be able to trust what you find, and you need to have confidence that what you find is truly the best-of-class content you could find, or darn close….
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Checkout now for PACs, Google Public Policy Blog
- Google CEO: Stop calling me dad!, TheAge
- Has Google Topper Eric Schmidt Lost His Mind?, Digital Media Wire
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Australian Geologist Accidentally Discovers Meteor Crater in Google Earth, Google Earth Blog
- MapQuest adds real-time traffic info, Download Squad
Paid Search & Contextual
- Anatomy of a Successful Ad Group, Serengeti Communications
- Google AdWords Groups To Gain Two New Representatives, Search Engine Roundtable
- Hello adCenter V5 sample written in PHP – adCenter API, adcentercommunity.com
- Making the most with AdSense, Google Custom Search
- Quality of Microsoft adCenter Traffic Falling?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Using data to help prevent fraud, Official Google Blog
- Did SEMPO choke at SES New York?, Andrew R H Girdwood
- Poll: Would You Want to Work at Google?, Search Engine Roundtable
- SES London Calling!, Official Google Webmaster Central Blog
- SES New York 2008: Jill Whalen WebProNews Videos, WebProNews
- What I’m Doing Instead of Attending SES-NY, The SEO Scoop
SEO & SEM
- Concerns Over Yahoo Search’s New Microformats Support For Open Search, Search Engine Roundtable
- Dynamic URLs: To Rewrite or Not to Rewrite…That is the Question, Search Engine Watch
- How to To Compare Different SEs Results, Search Engine Journal
- LinkedIn: your SEO card file, News.com
- SEO Tip: Almost 7 Ways To Re-Optimize Your Posts, ProBlogger
- How I gamed Digg — and laughed all the way to the bank, Valleywag
- 12 Must-Have Tools for Active Digg Users, DoshDosh
- Facebook To Launch New Privacy Controls; Confirms Chat Is Coming, TechCrunch
- FriendFeed has search, FriendFeed Blog
Video, Music & Image Search
- Caption Contest: Google is your new God, Valleywag
- Ex-Google Employee on Scaling an Organization, Google Blogoscoped
- Google for Non-Profits, Official Google Blog
Recent Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Igniting Viral Campaigns [SES NY]
- SES NY: Creating Compelling Ads for Paid Search
- Will Google’s Algorithm change because of their share price?
- Reputation Management Failure: The Tale of ClickBooth
- Interview With a Top Mixx User
- The Importance of Quality Content on Sphinn
- Search Analysis: Converting the Longtail into Sales
- 5 Reasons Why American Express is Losing Money on SEO
- EVIL Site Scraping BASTARDS = “Web Propeller “
- 200 Sphinn Submissions – and new friends too!
- Google to punish pagerank for Digg stories?
- Captain Kirk, Mortality Rates & Red Shirts
- the Value of Social Media Marketing Part II
- How to Organize Your Keyword Modifiers to Create Long Tail Strategy
- How to Sell your Client on a Blog Strategy
- Results of Google Experimentation – Only the First Anchor Text Counts
- Is MSN Lying About Their Referrer Spam?
- How Search Really Works: The Compressed Index
- How to Use WordPress as a Membership Directory
- Oh My Christ, They Got Facebook
- Have we run out of good SEO/SEM topics to write about?
- PPC Triage Now! Emergency Action Steps for Dying AdWords
- How to Grow Your Blog with Viral Copy
- Achieving Ah-Ha Blog-NOW Moments With Small Business Clients
- Are You the Underdog in Sphinn? Where’s YOUR Vote?
- Are you an Egocentric Blogger?
- Image Optimization 101
- 17 Ways to Visualize the Twitter Universe
- Twitter Haiku For Quality Tweats
- Google Indented Results- From a Different Domain?
- Stumbleupon Now Using Captcha for Reviews
- If You Don’t Like Blogging – Stop Blogging
- How to Build a Successful News Blog
- Banned By Google: UK University Outs US MFA Sites
- Official: General Web Directories Are Dead – JoeAnt is PageRank 3, More Aggressive Hand Editing by Google
- Del.icio.us Drops the Dots as Site Gets Makeover
- Help out a fellow SEO with Beards for the Cause Foundation
- Why People You Follow on Twitter Don’t Follow You Back
- Using Wikipedia To Reveal Web Traffic Data
- Using Social Media to Grow Your Blog’s Readership
- Google Now Selling SEO Services Via Performics
- The Google Quality Raters Handbook
- How to Build Links with Email Marketing
- 152 Dos & Don’ts of Business Blogging
New on Search Engine Land