SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 14, 2007
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on
Search Engine Land and from other
places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
Welcome, New Search Engine Land Editors!
The Search Engine Land editorial staff is growing. We’ve had two editors join in the past few months that I’ve been behind in writing about, and now Vanessa Fox is coming on as our features editor, so this is a good time to bring everything up to date!…
How To Manage In-House SEO When Your Team Is Ignoring You
It’s one month before your deadline and you realize nothing is done. Specifically, you need to get others to buy into your plans to move things forward…and no one has responded to your e-mails. What to do?…
Report: Google Planning New Video Venture
The UK’s Guardian reports that Google is planning some sort of new TV/online video venture with Simon Fuller, the creator of the UK’s Pop Idol, the precursor of the US’s American Idol show….
Google: We Were Misquoted On Spectrum Auction Participation
We were contacted by Google’s DC-based spokespeople after we repeated the Forbes pseudo quotation of Google CEO Eric Schmidt saying that the company would “definitely” participate in next January’s 700 MHZ wireless spectrum auction: “Schmidt now says Google will definitely participate in the auction.” Forbes itself updated and corrected the…
Inbox 2.0: Vision And Perhaps Confusion At Google And Yahoo
A much discussed blog posting this morning comes from Saul Hansell at the New York Times who spoke to both Google and Yahoo about their plans to turn their email products into social networks in a manner of speaking: “Inbox 2.0.” The plans discussed in the post suggest some clever…
Flickr’s Two Billionth Picture
See the image above? You are looking at the two-billionth picture uploaded to Flickr. It was taken at Market City in Chinatown Haymarket in Sydney. Holy moly! from the Flickr blog confirms that this picture, is indeed, the two-billionth image uploaded to Flickr. It is a picture of a…
Will SEO Become The Law For Federal Agencies
The Google Public Policy Blog wrote about a new bill that will require federal agencies to make their sites and information search engine accessible. The bill, introduced by Mr. Lieberman as E-Government Reauthorization Act of 2007 is being reviewed by the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee. The guidelines…
Google Transit Comes To Europe
The Google LatLong blog announced that Google Transit now supports certain areas in Europe. Google Transit is a tool to help you find public transportation options for your trip or commute. Google Transit supports travel South East of the UK, SBB, Switzerland, VBZ, Zurich, Switzerland, Turin, Italy and Florence, Italy….
European Commission Holds Up Google’s Acquisition Of DoubleClick
EU to probe Google/DoubleClick plan from Reuters reports the European Commission has decided to conduct a four-month review of the Google/DoubleClick deal. European Union said “the Commission’s initial market investigation indicated that the proposed merger would raise competition concerns in the markets for intermediation and ad serving in online advertising.”…
An Inside Look At Our Daily SearchCap
Search Engine Land’s Secrets : Mining SearchCap by Andrew Girdwood shows an almost unbelievable statistical breakdown of patterns in our Daily SearchCaps….
Are Online Registrations REALLY Sales Leads?
One of the most common B2B search marketing practices is offering whitepapers, demos, trial software, and other assets in exchange for registration information. Many companies immediately turn these registrations over to the sales team, but this may not be the best approach based on lead quality and a lengthy…
SMX Travel @ PhoCusWright Live Coverage Recap
The two day SMX Travel @ PhoCusWright show in Orlando is now complete. Chris Sherman hosted the travel focused agenda and we were lucky enough to have Marty at the aimClearBlog provide full coverage of the event. Below are links to his coverage….
Search News From Around The Web:
Applications & Portal Features
- Google Gadgets Work Everywhere, even Facebook!, SEOish
- Announcing the YDN Hadoop & Distributed Computing blog, Jeremy Zawodny
- Google Dalvik Virtual Machine Goes Head to Head With Java , ZDNet
- New Yahoo Widget Engine coming soon, News.com
- Version Numbers for Google’s Apps, Google Operating System
- How Google routed around Sun’s IP-based licensing restrictions on Java ME, Stefano’s Linotype
- Oracle Joins Intel, Google, Microsoft As Climate Savers, www.crn.com
- Alibaba Lifts Yahoo, Forbes
- Fatdoor Gets Cash, New CEO from Yahoo!, Screenwerk
- Revenue: one search Google won’t answer, www.smh.com.au
- Sharing the ad:Tech New York Love, Yahoo Search Blog
- Five Things I Learned at BlogWorld, Part I, Yahoo Publisher Network Blog
Local, Maps & Mobile
- Webcast: Yelp Founders and Greg Sterling Have a Conversation at Commonwealth Club, ResourceShelf
- Google Maps comes to Switzerland, Google LatLong
- Rats in Your Soup: Google Maps Adds CleanScores Ratings, InsideGoogle
- 10 Ways to Build Links Without Buying Them, Search Engine Journal
- Are SEOs Still Buying Links?, Search Engine Roundtable
Paid Search & Contextual
- The Google Advanced Search that Could Have Been, SEO By The Sea
- How Tony Bennett Inspired a User Experience Experiment, Search Engine Guide
- Search Engine of the Day: SenseBot, Alt Search Engines
- SearchBoth.co.uk Launches UK’s First Website That Searches Both Google and Yahoo, Bill Hartzer
- Anti-Google claims: to reply or not?, Matt Cutts
- Bigmouthmedia CEO Wins at National Business Awards Scotland 2007, BigMouthMedia
- BuzzMetrics’ Kalehoff Joins Search Start-Up, Wants To Bring Optimization To The Masses, MediaPost
- How she enriched Google’s idea factory, Rediff.com
SEO & SEM
- Google’s Paid Search vs. Organic Results: A Rickety Wall of Separation, Search Engine Guide
- Keyword Research: Choosing the Best Keywords, SEO.com
- Understanding Google’s Mindset on Classifying Spam, SEO Book
- 5 Quick Tips for Building SEO Content, Search Engine Journal
- Help! I Rank #1 But Have No Customers!, Search Engine Roundtable
- Microsoft Launches Live Search Webmaster Tools as Public Beta, Search Engine Roundtable
- Q&A: An undocumented robots.txt crawler directive from Google, sebastians-pamphlets.com
- Why SEOs Should Use the Meta Keywords Tag On Their Homepage, SEO Book
- Where Do Forums Fit on a Social Network Driven Internet?, Cre8PC
- Now see 10 recent profile visitors!, Orkut Blog
- Stoney DeGeyter of Pole Position Marketing on Viral Campaigns, Sphinn, Blackmail and More, SEOmoz
Video, Music & Image Search
- Google Starts Local Version Of Video Web Site YouTube, Moscow Times
- Can Hotlinking Get You Filtered in Google Image Search?, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Online Marketing Challenge, Googlified
- Live Search Portal, Google AdWords Exclusion, Link Command, AdSense Click Change, , Search Pulse
- Global privacy standards should focus on preventing harm to consumers, Google Public Policy Blog
- Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s "serenity prayer", www.mercextra.com
- How I Make Money Blogging, www.problogger.net
- The Swamp: Obama’s day at Google, Baltimore Sun
Hot Items From Sphinn, Our Social News Sharing Site:
- Danny Hires Vanessa Fox & Rebecca Kelley
- Help Me, Social Media is Trying to Take my Life!!
- Economics of Attention – 7 Ways To Snag An A-List Blogger
- Is Your Domain Name Triggering A Red Flag?
- Google Payload Launch – Traffic Arbitrage at its Best ::
- PPC lesson from Kenny Rogers and some advanced maths
- 84,800,000 Blog Posts About Digg: Read This One Too
- Google Options Make Masseuse a Multimillionaire
- New Social Media Group Blog: Collective-Thoughts.com
- Wall Street Journal Adds Digg Buttons
- Rand Fishkin interviews Stoney DeGeyter
- Webmaster, stop being so AntiSocial!!
- Search Engine Land’s Blogroll, Sliced, Diced & Categorized
- Should Companies Allow Social Networking at Work?
- Making $50 dollars a day with Google Custom Search
- Leased Domains as a Strategy to Increase Traffic
- 6 Types of Bloggers! Are You the Simon Cowell Type?
- 25 Headline Formulas That Have Plagued and Blessed Web 2.0
- People is What Makes Community Sites Different and Why Sphinn is Best
- Seo Expert Rant – High Rankings Forum
- The Problem with Waffly Headlines
- Microsoft: Back Off My AdSense… NOW!
- Yell if Microsoft’s Live.com Spammed You Too – eKstreme.com
- MyBlogLog Has Been All Messed Up For 15 Hours
- 7 Ways to Own Social Media Before it Owns You
- Linkbait Debate: Spam or Not?
- How to Earn Revenue Without Selling Links