SearchCap: Bing & Yahoo UI Tests, Lyric Sites Dive In Google & Google News More Trusted
Barry Schwartz on January 20, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Below is what happened in search today, as reported on Search Engine Land and from other places across the web.
From Search Engine Land:
- What Time Is The State Of The Union? White House Uses SEO To Spread The Word
President Barack Obama will deliver his 2015 State of the Union at 6pm PT tonight. If you didn’t know the time, you might turn to Google or Bing for an answer. And there, the White House hopes to inform you through a special post it made to rank for that query. Right now, the State […]
- Google Overtakes Traditional Media To Become Most Trusted News Source
According to survey data from the 2015 Edelman Trust Barometer search engines (read: Google) have overtaken traditional media as the most trusted source of news globally. Last year search engines were just behind traditional media but have now overtaken them. This “trust gap” is most evident among Millennials, according to early release data seen by […]
- Report: 2014 Was A Bad Year For Lyrics Sites In Google
2014 was a bad year for lyrics web sites in Google, with 2015 looking to be even worse for this niche.
- Making Customer Support Part Of Your SEO Program
There’s been a lot of discussion around breaking down silos within marketing departments, and columnist Casie Gillette notes the benefits of breaking down inter-departmental barriers as well.
- What Search Marketers Can Expect To Learn @SMX West In Silicon Valley
2015 SMX West Conference Preview: Big Brands, Platforms, Agencies and Consultants Converge in San Jose For 3 Days, 12 Tracks, 60 Sessions & 125 Expert Speakers Sharing Search Insights
- Bing Tests New News Card That Expands
Check out this neat new Bing Search test, where you can expand to see more news related content in the Bing search results.
- How To Present Your SEO Plan
Are you preparing to present your 2015 SEO strategy to the C-suite in the coming weeks? If so, columnist Chris Marentis has some advice for this and any presentation.
- Google Sending Mobile Usability Warnings To Huge Number Of Webmasters
Google sending notifications to webmasters with sites that are not mobile friendly. Is this a sign of a new mobile algorithm coming soon?
- Yahoo Search Testing Google’s Search Results Design?
Is Yahoo copying Google’s search results design? Here is a test Yahoo Search interface which looks just like Google’s search results page.
- This Small Business Redesigned Its Website & You Won’t Believe What Horrible SEO Thing Happened Next
Columnist Andrew Shotland took on a client who’d lost rankings as a result of a site redesign. Here’s what he did to help them recover.
- Google’s 2015 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Logo Designed By Ekua Holmes
Check out Google’s special logo for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Bing-Yahoo Paid Search Share Rises For Two Consecutive Quarters [IgnitionOne]
With robust consumer holiday shopping, US paid search closed out 2014 with 11 percent growth year-over-year in Q4 ad spend, bouncing back from sluggish growth of just 2.1 percent in Q3 2014. The data, which comes from IgnitionOne’s quarterly report, shows that the growth surge was driven by increased spend on the Yahoo Bing Network […]
Recent Headlines From Marketing Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Internet Marketing:
- Facebook Will Cut Back On Hoaxes In Your News Feed
- How Brands & Agencies Are Ramping Up To Score The Next Super Bowl Touchdown On Social Media
- YouTube’s Super Bowl Halftime Show To Feature Online Celebrities Freddie Wong & EpicMealTime’s Harley Morenstein
- EU Seeks To Overcome “Loser” Digital Status With Single Market, New Taxes On U.S. Web Companies
- What Digital Marketers Can Expect To Learn @SMX West In Silicon Valley
- Toyota #OneBoldChoice Super Bowl Effort Invites People To Celebrate Their Dads
- Content Marketing: What To Consider Before You Outsource
- WATCH: Official 2015 Super Bowl XLIX Ad Teasers & Commercials
- Game On: The 2015 Marketing Land #Hashtag Bowl Is Coming Soon
- Leverage These Holiday Learnings For 2015 Retail Marketing Success
- Rumor: Google To Buy Softcard, Indirectly Responsible For Failure Of Google Wallet 1.0
- Does The Successful N1 Tablet Pave The Way For New Nokia Android Smartphones?
- Two Days Before AFC Title Game, Indianapolis Colts Takes Its Website Down
Search News From Around The Web:
Local & Maps
- 2014 Local Search Recap, The Key Word
- Experiencing the Civil Rights Movement with Bing Maps, Bing Maps Blog
- Google Maps Local Reviews Character Limit Is 4,000, Search Engine Roundtable
- MarineTraffic tracks marine vessels with Google Maps, googleforwork.blogspot.com
- The Myth of Organic Links, Cornwall SEO
- Through the Google lens: Search trends January 9-15, Official Google Blog
- What Happens: Type Google.com Into a Web Browser?, Bill Hartzer
- YouTube tests show “searches related” in search results, All Google Testing
- Answer: Where’s the lake… (part 2 of 3), SearchReSearch
- Bing’s Knowledge Graph Gets It Wrong Sometimes Also, Search Engine Roundtable
- 21 Liveblog Reads that Will Make You a Better SEO, BruceClay.com
- Video: Convert Better with Holistic SEO, RKG Blog
- 18 Areas of Knowledge Every SEO Must Possess, Search Engine Journal
- Hardcore SEO – Brainstorming for Content Marketing, Stone Temple
- How do Do SEO for A Business With Mulitple Locations, searchenginepeople.com
- SEO Traffic: Converting Visits to Sales — Twitter Chat #11, SEMrush Blog
- The Great Google Disavow Debate of 2015, seotrainingdojo.com
- The Ultimate SEO Checklist: 25 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Your Next Post, quicksprout.com
- UX: The Key to The Future of SEO, Search Engine Journal
- Bruce Clay’s 2015 Predictions for the SEO Industry, BruceClay.com
- Google Says Moving From An IP Address To Domain Name, Same As Domain To Domain Move, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google Will Ignore Everything On Your 404/410 Page, Except The 404/410 Status Code, Search Engine Roundtable
- Google’s Fix App Deep Links To For Content That Doesn’t Match, Search Engine Roundtable
- Mobile SEO in 2015 – Is Your Site Up To Date?, Distilled
- Understanding Schema for Search, SEMrush Blog
SEM / Paid Search
- 3 Adwords Display Network Power Targeting Tips You Should Know About, The SEM Post
- Singing This Unsung Hero’s Praises – Proper Account Structure, PPC Hero
- The people’s predictions 2015 – tell us what you think 2015 will hold for the ad industry?, Bing Ads Blog
- 3 Easy Ways to Amp Up Your AdWords Scripts, PPC Hero
- Announcing the launch of account-level tax and shipping and improved product dates in Content API for Shopping, Google Ads Developer Blog
- Be Smarter About Your Display Network Placements, PPC Hero
- Connecting Paid Search Spend to In Store Visits, Seer Interactive
- Google Trusted Stores: Now it’s even easier to help shoppers buy online with confidence, Inside AdWords
- How to Beat the Odds in PPC with Competitive Metrics: Q&A, SEMrush Blog