Everything you need to know about SEO, delivered every Thursday.
All Things SEO: Our Top 10 Organic Search Columns For 2014
Search engine optimization (SEO) is our hottest topic here on Search Engine Land, and these columns in particular were the most popular among our SEO readership.
All Things SEO is by far our most widely read column here on Search Engine Land, and our columnists have worked hard all year to provide a wide variety of helpful SEO content for our readers.
While many in the organic search community turned to these industry experts for their insights regarding major SEO developments this year — such as the Penguin 3.0 rollout and Panda updates 4.0 and 4.1 — it seems that readers were most interested in actionable advice that they could apply to their own campaigns.
Our most popular columns included many tactical and strategic pieces that run the gamut from basic to advanced, covering topics like how to write good meta descriptions, how to integrate Bing into your organic search strategy, and which tools to use in your daily work.
Readers were also very interested in forward-thinking pieces, suggesting that the industry as a whole is maturing — rather than scrambling to recover from unexpected changes in the search landscape, SEOs spent their time planning ahead and preparing for the future.
Without further ado, here are our most popular All Things SEO columns of 2014:
- Does Google Have A Secret “Translate” Service & Why Should Search Marketers Care? by Ariel Hochstadt. Published on 4/29/14. 1.2K social shares across all platforms.
- Single Page Websites & SEO by Tom Schmitz. Published on 1/21/14. 1.2K social shares across all platforms.
- Prioritizing SEO Strategies In 2014: Where To Focus by Warren Lee. Published on 2/14/14. 2K social shares across all platforms.
- 37 Awesome Tools To Get The Most From Your SEO Campaigns by Matthew Barby. Published on 11/5/14. 3.1k social shares across all platforms.
- Advanced SEO Experiments: Google’s Title Tag Changes by Tom Schmitz. Published on 4/25/14. 4k social shares across all platforms.
- 4 Easy & Honest SEO Mistakes That Could Penalize Your Site by Neil Patel. Published on 11/13/14. 2.2 social shares across all platforms.
- Penguin: Google’s Punitive Algorithm – And A Call To Google To Fix It by Eric Enge. Published on 7/30/14. 1.8 social shares across all platforms.
- The Bing Dilemma: What To Do With The Little Search Engine That Can’t by Nathan Safran. Published on 1/9/14. 583 social shares across all platforms.
- How To Write A Meta Description That Gets Click-Throughs by Neil Patel. Published on 11/26/14. 3.6k social shares across all platforms.
- Expert Insights On The Future Of SEO, Part 2 by Trond Lyngbø. Published on 9/11/14. 1.5k social shares across all platforms.
Methodology: Columns published in 2014 are ranked in order of pageviews measured by Google Analytics. Data was gathered on December 4 and include all columns published through December 3, 2014.